Thank you for your interest in our research symposium! The event will take place on April 29, 2020 at the Iron Mike Conference & Catering Center on Fort Bragg from 0900 to 1500.
Eligibility: This competition is open to faculty, staff, and students at Womack Army Medical Center and Fort Bragg units as well as Cape Fear Regional Health Departments, Cape Fear Valley Health Center, Camp Lejeune, Campbell University, Fayetteville State University, Fayetteville Technical Community College, Fayetteville Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Methodist University, Southern Regional Area Health Education Center, and University of North Carolina at Pembroke.
Submissions: Research studies, surveys, unique case reports, process improvement projects, and well-done critical reviews are eligible for consideration. Submissions presented at a conference or published after 1 January 2018 are eligible for consideration.
- Case Reports, Evidence Based Medicine, Systematic Reviews, and Process Improvement projects are only eligible for poster presentations.
- Original Research is eligible for both podium and poster presentations. Results are not required to be included in the abstract at time of submission, but are required for inclusion in the final presentation to be eligible for judging.
- Poster submissions: poster dimensions must be 24"x36", landscape orientation. Upon acceptance, posters must be submitted to symposium staff for preliminary judging. Authors will be expected to offer brief commentaries about their project to symposium guests and judges on the day of the event.
- Podium submissions: accepted presenters will be permitted to provide a 10 minute oral presentation followed by a 5 minute period to answer questions from the judges and audience. Speaking times will be strictly enforced. To be considered for participation, the final presentation must contain data analysis. Presenters are required to create their own PowerPoint presentation and send the file to symposium staff upon acceptance.
For more information please contact symposium staff at email@example.com.
FOR WAMC PERSONNEL ONLY
All materials, clinical or research related, including abstracts, manuscripts, presentation, case reports, and book chapters reflecting the WAMC affiliation must go through 4 levels of review BEFORE submission for posters and presentation: 1) Department Chief, 2) Public Affairs Office, 3) Operation Security, and 4) Department of Clinical Investigation. The following publication types require WAMC approval:
- Reports involving WAMC patients and staff to include case reports (a copy of the signed Case Report Consent Form must be appended.)
- Reports citing WAMC in the title or byline
- Reports of WAMC approved research
- Reports of research conducted by WAMC assigned personnel
- Reports related to combat or military operations
- Reports including any type of photograph relating to a patient or staff member (must be accompanied by DA Form 4876)
The following disclosure must be present on all publications: “The views expressed herein are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the official policy of the Department of Defense, Department of Army, US Army Medical Department or the US Government.” WAMC employees must use the WAMC official template for posters and slides.
To complete publication clearance, please submit a completed Publication Clearance Form (with your Department Chief’s signature), provide a copy of the proposed presentation (Abstract, Case Report, Letter to the Editor, Podium Presentation, Manuscript, Book Chapter, Poster Presentation or Other) and other relevant material to both POCs listed below. For publications that provide information related to post-traumatic stress, poly-pharmacy, pain management, battle damage assessments, casualty statistics, suicide and/or traumatic brain injury, see below the section on “Special Items.”
Once all materials have been submitted, the Department of Clinical Investigation will procure the required signatures from PAO, OPSEC and Defense Health Agency ((DHA) if required).
For more information contact the POCs listed below.
Once publication clearance has been approved by the Department of Clinical Investigation, a copy will be sent to the requester. This clearance form should be kept on file.
Please contact symposium staff or Melissa Griffin: firstname.lastname@example.org and Christy Crawford: email@example.com; 910-907-6522 for more information.
PRINTING A POSTER PRESENTATION AT WAMC
1. Check to see if a specific format or size is required for the forum or conference you are going to present (standard poster size for the WAMC Research Symposium is 24” x 36” and there is a standard format). WAMC’s printer maximum sizes are 24” x 36” (mounted) or 36” x 48” (un-mounted).
2. Design your poster in .ppt (PowerPoints); .jpg (Photo); or .pdf (Reader) format. Posters cannot be printed in .pub (Publisher); .doc (Word) or .xls (Excel) since these formats cannot be enlarged to poster sizes.
3. When designing the poster, set the page size FIRST. PowerPoint software will default to 10” x 7.5” so you have to set the page size at the beginning.
4. Imagery downloaded from the internet must be high resolution. You can determine this by hovering over the image. A resolution of no less than 800 x 800 is best. Please open the image and then save it; you don't want to use the thumbnails as they have a much lower resolution.
5. Please proof your product. Any reprints due to design errors require a higher level of approval due to the waste of limited resources.
6. Once you have designed and proofed your product, submit a work ticket requesting a poster be printed to: https://gsc.health.mil/ or dial 907-TECH. They will provide you with a ticket number. Please indicate sizes and quantities as well as the date the items are needed.
7. Once a work ticket is submitted please send your poster in .ppt (PowerPoints); .jpg (Photo); or .pdf (Reader) format via email to Shaun Lamberth at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide the ticket number, size, date needed.
8. Standard turnaround is 7-10 days. If you need your product sooner please contact Mr. Lamberth directly.